Ice-Cream, It's What's For Breakfast





  A writer friend of mine posted an article she had found to my facebook page today touting the wonders of ice cream as a breakfast food. She thought it would be right down my alley since I am ...ahem...the founder and creator of National Ice Cream For Breakfast Day.  In order not to interrupt the flow of my prose I will allow you to applaud my brilliance at a  later time.

    What? You never knew there was such a day?  Why did you keep it a secret all this time you might ask.  It was never my intention to keep this good news from y'all, it's just that the day is portable. It moves with the calendar, so it has its own logistical challenges. There isn't only one designated Ice Cream for breakfast day, I have discovered.  There are a whole slew of them, multitudes, multiples, more than you can count. Or more than I can count at any rate. I'm good up to about twenty five and then I tend to lose my way. 

  So it is true that one of the biggest issues with National Ice Cream for Breakfast Day is getting the word out. For instance, this has been a very rough week for me. Lots of unique (shall we say) people have populated my life as of late, including my own father -- but that is a story or possible epic novel (at least 700 pages) for another day.  Suffice it to say these aforementioned people are creating a great deal of stress in my life at the moment. Based on one of the most basic rules of the road, "this too shall pass", I know this condition isn't permanent, but boy, oh, boy, a little bit of Ice Cream for Breakfast Day would certainly ease the situation. Therefore, tomorrow is National Ice Cream for Breakfast Day. I have so decreed and declared. You are beginning to see how this works, aren't you?

  You see, this is a self designating holiday. It can occur whenever the situation requires a big bowl of Rocky Road, Moose Tracks, or insert your own favorite here. Mine happens to be vanilla. I know pretty boring gruel for an interesting person such as myself, but there it is. I like vanilla. As I have aged I have even outgrown my love of dressing it up with chocolate syrup, whipped cream, nuts, sprinkles, cherries, and a partridge in a pear tree. Now I eat it al dente, straight up from the box, no ice, no mixers. Which means that I have no choice but to select Ben and Jerry's Vanilla (and yes, no cute name for this bad boy, it's plain vanilla), all 1000 calories, a potential heart attack waiting to happen wrapped in cute cow cardboard. Do I like working without a net or what? Did I also mention that I have exceedingly high HDL cholesterol?  That's the good kind, natures one tablet before bedtime aspirin substitute.

  Here;s the good news. You don't have to wait for me to make the official designation. That's way more responsibility than I can handle. I have trouble enough keeping track of myself without worrying about all you guys and when you are going to eat ice cream. All you have to do is declare. "National Ice Cream For Breakfast Day" post it on social media and off you go. Proper notifications have been made, no parade or local permits necessary, free parking for all.  This is truly a democratic holiday, and who's not for a little more democracy around here? I know I am.

  Rules of the Road, Things My Mother Never Told Me, that's the name of this blog. My mother never did tell me about National Ice Cream for Breakfast Day, but she did celebrate Real Whipped Cream for Breakfast Day, and Waffles for Dinner Night, so I kind of think this would be in her lane. Right Mom?

   
  

   

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts